Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Romeo and Juliet Allusions

I continue to call the 1996 version of Romeo and Juliet the new movie, even though it is older than my students. It is not my favorite and often my students start to like the older version better. One of the things I do like about it is that the makers of this movie really liked Shakespeare. For one, they made sure to edit the movie to exactly two hours long since the prologue says, "Is now the two hours' traffic of our stage"  Another reason I know that they really liked Shakespeare is the effort that they put into the background.  Look at these allusions to Shakespeare plays:


"Experience is by industry achiev'd"
The Two Gentlemen of Verona





A play on the title of a Shakespeare play - The Merchant of Venice




"Out, damn’d spot! out, I say!"
Macbeth spoken by Lady Macbeth when she can't seem to get imaginary blood off her hands.



"I need not add more fuel to your fire,
For well I wot ye blaze to burn them out"
King Henry VI part 3



"Sir John, I am thy Pistol and thy friend…"
Henry IV, Part 2




"Such stuff as dreams are made on."
The Tempest spoken by the character Prospero




"Methinks the truth should live from age to age, as ‘twere retail’d to all posterity"
Richard III




O.K., not a quote, but you can tell your kids to look for the Globe Theater and see who finds it first.


Shylock is a rich character in The Merchant of Venice.


"O that I were a god, to shoot forth thunder upon these paltry, servile, abject drudges!"
King Henry VI part 2


There are several quotes here.  I got these pictures and quotes from my own research (http://www.lordalford.com/9grade/romeo/new.htm) but then I found a site that had already done most of the work at Shakespeare Marketing (http://www.bohemiancinema.com/writes/shakespearean-marketing/).  You can find all the quotes on the magazines (below) there plus a few more background images.  If you like this, you should check it out.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Since February 15, 2014